the SAEM Pure Natural Mask Sheet SNAIL [Brightening] review. Does it or does it not brighten?





Today I have a review of the pure natural brightening snail sheet mask, by the Korean brand the SAEM. Like the other snail sheet mask I reviewed last week, I got also some of these as a gift. For today’s review I tried this sheet mask 2 times as well. The first one in the evening and the second one in the morning, spread out over the course of one week. Let me share my thoughts of this mask as well!

Product overview




Names: the SAEM Pure Natural Mask Sheet Snail [Brightening}
What is it: a Korean sheet mask made from cotton and filled with essence containing filtered snail mucus. This mask’s main benefit is to brighten the skin tone. It can be applied either right after your toner or after your essences/serums AM and/or PM. Leave the mask on for 20-25 min. Remove the mask and pat in the remaining product until absorbed. Continue with your usual routine
Purpose: The mask is meant for brightening the skin tone and providing some hydration
Scent: Flowery scent, not too strong. But in case you prefer to avoid scented products, you might want to avoid it.
Texture: The essence has a texture which is somewhere between an essence and serum, it is slippery and slightly thin
Size:   The mask contains 21 ml of essence

Ingredients




[Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Snail Secretion Filtrate, PEG-75, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract (Rosehip oil), Leontopodium Alpinum Extract, Freesia Refracta Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract (Lotus seed extract), Chlorphenesin, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract (licorice root extract), 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Schizandra Chinensis Fruit Extract, Coptis Japonica Root Extract, Zingiber Officinale (ginger) Root Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance]

Some notable (highlighted) ingredients are: glycerin, snail secretion filtrate, rosehip oil, lotus seed extract, liquorice root extract, coptis japonica root extract, ginger root extract and green tea leaf extract. 

Glycerin is a great humectant. Checking the ingredients list, it seems that the brightening effect of this mask is due to the rosehip oil, licorice and ginger root extracts. Furthermore, there are some anti-oxidants in here as well such as, lotus seed extract, coptis japonica root extract and green tea. Interesting fact, my Pyunkang Yul essence toner also contains coptis japonica root extract. This ingredient is also quite hydrating!

I also checked the schizandra chinensis fruit extract and freesia refracta extract. Schizandra chinensis fruit extract or also known as five flavour berry, is said to create a barrier against free radicals, increase the skin’s firmness and suppleness (link). Freesia refracta extract is said to be skin conditioning, so hydrating I guess (link). There are not many studies conducted on these ingredients regarding their skin benefits, so for now I do not look too much into them.

Anyway, I examined all of the ingredients through CosDNA and the Paula’s Choice online ingredients dictionary. I checked for potential allergenic and sensitizing ingredients.

According to the entry there is are three ingredients which can be a potential sensitizer, which are PEG-75 (rated 3), PEG-60 (rated 5) and fragrance/parfum (rated 1-4). Other than that, none of the ingredients are likely to cause a problem. I prefer to avoid fragrance in my skincare, but I give this one a pass. The fragrance is not too overwhelming and it is at the bottom of the list.

2.  I also checked the ingredients through the Paula’s Choice Ingredients Dictionary. I was able to find most of the ingredients listed. The majority of the ingredients are meant to hydrate, moisturize and control the ph of the ingredients. Here is the link.

According to the dictionary there are two ingredients that can be sensitizing, alcohol and fragrance/parfum. They can dry out and sensitize the skin. It is the same as for the mask I reviewed last week, which I link here aswell with some additional info.

Performance and comparison to the original pure snail sheet mask

In order to measure the efficacy of this snail mask, I tested it out twice, once in the morning and once in the evening. This way I was able to test if there was a difference in effectiveness of the mask depending on when used. The review of this mask is quite similar to the original snail sheet mask of the SAEM. Since I already linked this review here, I am only pointing out the main points ;)

I used the mask both in the evening and in the morning. Both times, I noticed that as I took out the mask from the packaging, there was some essence left. After applying the masks onto my face, they did not fit perfectly which can happen. I left them on my face between 20-25 min and patted in the remaining essence. In the morning I did not apply any makeup.


This is how the mask look

 
There is still a lot of essence inside, don't waste it ;)


Something I noticed with this mask, was that after 10 min or so my skin started to feel a bit dry and tight. The exact same thing happened to me with the other snail mask from the SAEM. But after removing the mask my skin did feel nicely hydrated and moisturized. I am not sure whether it did really make my skin any brighter. Maybe slightly? But perhaps when using the mask more often the effect will be more noticeable. At the same time, I do not struggle much with pigmentation of any sort so someone who does have this concern might benefit more from it.

As for the effects of this mask at night and during the day, it did pretty okay. I find the hydration/moisture lasting better at night time. The hydration and moisture levels of my skin also reduced quicker both AM and PM compared to the original pure snail sheet mask.

Conclusion

I think this mask is okay, it’s not bad but it’s also not that great either. It’s so so, like its counterpart snail mask. I still have some masks left, so I will keep using them. The mask delivers some hydration and moisture but not as much as the other mask, nor do the effects last as long. I do think it slightly made my skin brighter, but not significantly. I think those of you who care more about pigmentation might enjoy this mask more. Still, I do enjoy using it and I do like snail products a lot haha. So not bad feelings~

Rating

3.5/5

I will continue reviewing more sheet masks from the SAEM, including a special snail sheet mask. So snail on and until next time!

Ana~

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information. I really like the way you express complex topics in lucid way. It really helps me understand it much better way. snail essence facial mask sheet

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.