the SAEM Pure Natural Mask Sheet Snail review, is it snail-worthy?





Today I have a review of the pure natural snail sheet mask by the Korean brand the SAEM. I got a couple of these masks as a gift. Happy me, because I like snail skincare products quite a lot. For today’s review I tried this sheet mask 2 times. The first one in the morning and the second one in the evening, spread out over the course of one week. Let me share my thoughts!

Product overview


The back of the mask


Names: the SAEM Pure Natural Mask Sheet Snail
What is it: a Korean sheet mask made from cotton and filled with essence containing filtered snail mucus. It can be applied either right after your toner or after your essences/serums AM and/or PM. Leave the mask on for 20-25 min. Remove the mask and pat in the remaining product until absorbed. Continue with your usual routine.
Purpose: The mask is meant for moisturizing the skin
Scent: Mildly fragranced sheet mask
Texture: The essence has a texture which is somewhere between an essence and serum, it is slippery and slightly thin
Size:   The mask contains 21 ml of essence

Today’s topics:

  • Product overview
  • Ingredients
  • Performance
  • Conclusion
  • Rating


Ingredients




 [Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Snail Secretion Filtrate, PEG-75, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Chlorphenesin, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract (Licorice root extract), 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Schizandra Chinensis Fruit Extract, Coptis Japonica Root Extract, Zingiber Officinal Root Extract (Ginger root extract), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance]

Some notable (highlighted) ingredients are: glycerin, snail secretion filtrate, liquorice root extract, ginger root extract and green tea leaf extract.  Glycerin is a great humectant. While the licorice root and ginger root extract have skin-soothing and brightening effects. Ginger root extract, just like green tea are also powerful antioxidants. However, they are quite low on the list.
I examined all of the ingredients through CosDNA and the Paula’s Choice online ingredients dictionary. I checked for potential allergenic and sensitizing ingredients.

According to the entry there are a few ingredients that could that could be potential triggers: PEG-75, PEG-60 and fragrance. Furthermore, butylene glycol scores 1 on the comedogenic scale.

I also checked the ingredients through the Paula’s Choice Ingredients Dictionary. I was able to find most of the ingredients listed. The majority of the ingredients are completely safe, except for the fragrance. Luckily, fragrance is listed as the last ingredient so I personally am not too worried about it. But if you are sensitive to fragrance you might want to avoid this sheet mask, although the smell is very very mild. Here is the link.


Performance

In order to measure the efficacy of this snail mask, I tested it out twice, once in the morning and once in the evening. This way I was able to test if there was a difference in effectiveness of the mask depending on when used.

The first time, I used this mask in the evening. After opening the packaging and taking out the mask, I noticed that there was some essence left. I put the mask on my face after my toner, essence and serum and left it on my face for 25 min. I also tried to put on the remaining essence on top of the mask, which did not work too well (lol). Anyway, so far so good. But after 10 min my skin started to feel a bit dry and tight even though the mask still contained essence. Also, the mask did not fit perfectly as my forehead was not completely covered (whee long forehead…). I also had to press the bottom parts of my mask every couple min to my face as they were detaching.


How the mask looks like

There is some essence left inside the mask, I poured it onto my hand


Anyway, I removed the mask after 25 min and there was still a little bit of essence left that pretty much immediately absorbed into my skin. Afterwards, I completed my routine and went to bed. The next morning my skin felt a bit more soft and moisturized than usual, so that was nice. Though I did not particularly feel any difference that afternoon, but that is normal with a sheet mask. Still, I liked the feeling of my skin.

The second time I tried this mask a couple days later in my AM skincare routine. I applied the mask after my toner, essences and serum. This time I left the mask on my face for 20 min. I experienced the same with the application of my mask and again after about 10 min, my skin felt a bit dry and tight. After I removed the mask the remaining essence quickly absorbed into my skin. I continued with my routine and my skin felt quite nice.
The effects of the mask lasted for a couple hours. Before my PM skincare routine, I checked my face and found that it to be still felt pretty nice. Not as before, but not too bad either. Since I did not wear any makeup that day, I cannot say anything about the performance of the mask in that situation.

Conclusion

I think this mask is alright, it’s not bad but it’s also not that great either. It’s so so. I still have some masks left, so I will keep using them. The mask does deliver moisture to my skin and the effects last for some time. I do appreciate that. But I do think that there are better snail sheet masks out there. Nevertheless, I do enjoy using this mask.

Rating

3.5/5

Soon I will also review different snail sheet masks by the SAEM. That should be fun ;). Happy snail days!

Ana~

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.